I heart pretzels. The soft kind, with mustard on them. YUM! I have played around with many recipes for these. I re-tooled and mashed them into one perfect recipe that works every time! I use organic ingredients – they’re super easy to find!
- 1½ cups warm water
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 2 tsp kosher salt (reduce amount if using table salt)
- 1 package active dry yeast
- 4½ cups all purpose flour
- 2 oz unsalted butter, melted
Vegetable oil, for pan
Baking Soda Bath
- 10 cups water
- ⅔ cups baking soda
- 1 large egg yolk, beaten with 1 Tbsp water
- Coarse kosher salt or Pretzel Salt
- If using bread maker combine warm water, sugar, salt, yeast, flour & unsalted butter and set for the dough cycle. Once the cycle is complete, move on to step 7.
- If using mixer, combine warm water, sugar, salt & yeast. Stir and allow it to sit for 4-5 minutes.
- Once the mixture has risen slightly, put flour in the bowl of the mixer, add the yeast slurry, melted butter & using the dough attachment/hook kneed on low speed just until the dough comes together.
- Increase the speed to medium and kneed until dough is smooth and pulls away from the sides of the bowl (about 4-5 minutes).
- Remove the dough from the bowl, spray it with non stick spray, then return the dough back into the bowl and cover with a tea towel. Let rise for 1 hour in a draft free, warm place, or until doubled in size.
- Preheat oven to 450F. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper and brush with oil. Set aside.
- Bring 10 cups of water & baking soda to a rolling boil in an 8-quart sauce pan or roasting pan.
- Meanwhile, turn the dough out onto oiled work surface and divide it into small pieces the size of a golf ball.
- Roll each dough ball into a rope and wrap it around the full length of the hot dog, pinching the ends onto themselves to prevent them unwrapping. (Alternatively, just shape the dough into a 24 inch rope, then holding the ends of the rope cross them over each other and press onto the bottom of the U in order to form the shape of a pretzel)
- One by one place the place the pretzel dogs into the boiling soda water for 30 seconds. Using a large slotted spoon or spatula remove them from the water and place onto prepared baking sheet.
- Brush on with beaten egg yolk and water mixture and sprinkle with salt.
- Place in oven and bake until golden brown in color, about 12-14 minutes.